The Equinox Electric
Complimenting the groundbreaking Viridis acoustic/electric guitar, the 25.5″ scale length Vermont-made Equinox electric guitars from DeMars Guitars have steadily gained acceptance in the world of high-end boutique guitars.
Company head Dan DeMars explains the evolution: “The Equinox electric guitars were developed in response to guitarists who really loved our initial line of Viridis chambered solid-body acoustic electric guitars that were introduced at the 2006 NAMM Show. They asked why we didn’t make electrics — it was a great question! After a lot of thought and numerous discussions with guitarists (of all playing styles), instruments techs, producers, component and amp manufacturers and retailers, we designed and produced a line of distinctive electric guitars that reflect and honor the best of respected vintage instruments, yet are built with the finest of today’s materials and components. Equinox guitars deliver a unique identity for players who are comfortable with the feel and playability of classic instruments but who seek something just a bit different.”
The Equinox line was launched at the 2008 NAMM Show with two models: the H and the S:
- H: two hand-wound coil-splittable humbuckers w/ nickel covers, classic sunburst finish, gold bell knobs, Grover keystone tuners
- S: three single-coil pickups integrated into pickguard, 50s sunburst finish
Based on the responses of guitarists since the original launch of the Equinox, the line was then expanded to include models based on other classic electric instruments:
- T: butterscotch finish; two single-coil pickups, Tele®-style tailpiece
- X: opaque black finish; all black hardware; EMG 81/85 pickups
- B: translucent orange finish; two TV Jones® pickups; Bigsby® tailpiece
- R: three Lollar “Broiler” pickups; white two-level pickguard; Bigsby® tailpiece
- 12-string: two coil-splittable Duncan P-Rail pickups; 1.75″ nut width
- Jazz: two Benedetto B6 single coil jazz pickups; fancy trapeze tailpiece; Grover Imperial tuners
- Baritone: 28.6″ scale length; three Duncan single-coil “lipstick” pickups
The Equinox guitars have chambered solid-bodies of basswood, mahogany or alder, with an optional flame maple top. A crowded electric guitar market demands that successful lines deliver innovation and performance; the DeMars Equinox line features the Earvana® Compensated Tuning System ensuring precise intonation along the entire fingerboard. The neck attachment design is central to the sonic character of all DeMars instruments. “Most ‘bolt-on neck’ guitars made by other firms aren’t bolt-on at all,” says DeMars, “but rather a relatively archaic ‘woodscrew-straight-into-neck-heel’ design. DeMars 3-piece quartersawn rock maple necks are attached to the body by four aircraft-grade black oxide hex-head bolts that mesh into precision-threaded brass inserts epoxied into the neck heel.” The result: structural rigidity, more sustain and optimal tonal delivery through both the neck and body. The Equinox models are available in a variety of translucent and opaque finishes, including a clearcoat finish over a carbon/Kevlar top.
What about the sound? The Equinox electric guitars sport pickups from Seymour Duncan, Lollar, Benedetto, EMG and TV Jones, providing the guitarist a myriad of tonal possibilities. Typical electronics include a master volume, master tone (switchable pot to activate the middle pickup on 3-pickup models) and Switchcraft 3-way pickup selector. Humbuckers are equipped with 4-conductor wire, allowing for coil-splitting. “Our Equinox guitars really deliver when plugged into any amplifier; they particularly shine with high-end tube amps.” Additionally, all Equinox guitars can be fitted with GraphTech® Ghost™ bridge saddles to deliver acoustic timbres though a “smart” stereo output jack.
The Vermont-made Equinox guitar has an MSRP of $3400.
Every Equinox guitar comes with a top-quality lightweight “Single Electric Guitar” case by MONO Cases and a transferable 3-year warranty.
- Bookmatched koa top $400
- Piezo bridge saddles* $200
- Translucent finish** $200
- Carbon/Kevlar top $200
- Gold or black hardware $100
- Anvil-style road case $100
* with onboard GraphTech Ghost preamp
** over figured maple top