NAMM Report 2010
The 2010 NAMM Show saw fewer exhibiting companies than recent years (thank you, US macroeconomy) but no less excitement. Like many other smaller companies, DeMars Guitars did not exhibit at this year’s NAMM but our impact was felt nonetheless. Our two new sales reps experienced the sensory overload associated with NAMM shows and they had a productive and informative experience, demonstrating our instruments, meeting with retailers and closing deals.
DeMars Guitars is fortunate to have enthusiastic and supportive partners in this venture and such support was undeniably evident at the 2010 NAMM Show. A fretted 5-string Long Trail bass and a Viridis Guitar (both with stunning AAAAA-grade flame maple tops) both spent time at the busy booths of Aphex Systems (thank you Wayne & Debbie LaFarr), Hipshot Products (ditto Dave Borisoff & Jason Ungulich) and GraphTech Labs (gracias Dave & Tarina Dunwoodie & James Marcus). Great [products, great friendships and great people.
The highlight of our 2010 NAMM was the introduction of our new 4-string Long Trail Mag bass that made the rounds at several bass amp booths. Dubbed “the P Bass for the 21st Century” by a friend, here are the specs:
- Body: basswood with alder top with vintage 2-tone burst; gloss lacquer clearcoat
- Neck: 3-piece rock maple with maple fingerboard; 2-way truss rod; 21 medium Dunlop frets; TUSQ nut (1.75″)
- Scale: 34″
- Hardware: chrome Ultralite tuners by Hipshot; chrome A-style bridge by Hipshot; chrome strap buttons; chrome knobs/switches
- Magnetic pickup: passive Bartolini M3
- Piezos: GraphTech piezo bridge saddles with onboard Ghost 9V preamp
- Controls: concentric volume/tone pots for Bartolini; separate volume pot with push “bright/dark” switch for piezos; “smart” output jack where a stereo output cable allows the signals (mag/piezo) to be split; 3-way mini switch (magnetics/both/piezos).
We saw a number of old friends at the 2010 NAMM, including bassists Stu Hamm, Derrick (“Deedock”) Murdock, Steve Bailey, Quintin (“Q”) Berry, Tony Smith, Lawrence (“The Professor”) Hightower, Phil Chen, Stevo McKinney, Grasshopper (Bass Central), Reggie Carson, Hadrien Feraud, Reza Saleh, Andrew Gouche, Jackie Clark, Dywane Thomas, and the legendary Leland Sklar, and many guitarists including Dale Drinkard, Eric Erdman & Ronny North. We also spent some time with Bruce Hamilton (Wildwood Manufacturing), Ned Steinberger (NS Design), Ben Cole (D’Addario), Laura Clapp Davidson (TC Electronic), Steve Skillings & Mike Zarkanian (JamHub), Michael Griffin (Essential Sound Products), Pavel Sfera (Bono double), Stuart Spector & Oz Barron (Spector Basses) and we shared a long overdue round of drinks one evening with Peter D’Addario (D’Addario/PlanetWaves). New friends made at the 2010 NAMM show include:
- bassists Stefan Lessard (Dave Matthews Band), Phil Buckman (Petty Cash), Bobby Vega (Jefferson Airplane, Bob Weir), Pennal (“PJ”) Johnson, Victor Wooten (Bela Fleck & the Flecktones), Robert Harper, Dave Mullins, Billy Sheehan (Talas, David Lee Roth, Mr Big) & Eva Gardner (Pink)
- pickup makers Bill & Pat Bartolini
- David Rudd (Gator Cases)
- Phil Garfinkel (Audix mics)
- Eric McGregor (Alesis)
- Howard Robson (Uncontained Sound)
- Drew Montell, Brian Ball & Dudley Gimpel (Ernie Ball / Music Man)
- Larry Urie (PRS Guitars)
- Nick Colesanti (CF Martin & Co)
- Michael Smith (Peavey)
- Todd Binder & Jason Gile (ESP Guitars)
- Daniel Kushner & Brett Zadlo (Mono Cases)